Hand saws, although they might look simply, but one wrong move and you will regret it for the rest of your life. They are simple to use, or misuse. So, pay attention as I’m about to show you how to use a hand saw safely.
In this article, I will demonstrate how to cut lid using a handsaw safely. For this, you will need:
- Safety Glasses
- A Hand Saw
There are many kinds of saws. Crosscut saws are used to cut across the grain of wood and rip saws cut with the grain of wood. There are combination saws that can do both. For this demonstration, we will be using a combination saw.
What Are Some Of The Uses You Can Use A Hand Saw For?
Using A Hand Saw Safely
FYI, if you don’t know what type of saw you have try doing a test cut on a scrap of wood before cutting your final piece. Never use a wood saw to cut metal, instead use a hacksaw.
Also, remember to have a parent or advisor present when using tools. Advisors, it is your job to make sure your builders are following proper safety procedures.
- Let’s identify the parts of the handsaw. Make sure you know about the handle, the saw blade, and the saw teeth.
- Now, prep your wood by measuring and marking where you will be signed. Be sure to measure twice.
- Next find the stable work surface that won’t wobble as you saw and secure the wood with clamps.
- Position your saw at a 45-degree angle with the part of your wood you marked hanging off the table.
- Start moving the saw back and forth to get a starting match keeping your elbow in and close to your body will help you make a straight cut.
- Use the full length of the blade by using long strokes you will only need to apply light pressure for the saw teeth to do their work.
- Applying too much pressure can cause the saw to bind and get stuck.
- When you are getting close to the end of your cut, lower the saw angle to finish with a clean cut.
Using a handsaw will open you up to a wider range of designs and allow you to build sturdier devices. Now, that you know how to use a hand saw safely, let’s start the project of your dreams.
- Best Miter Saw For Beginners & Amateurs (Updated 2023) - May 7, 2022
- Best Table Saw Miter Gauge Reviews in 2023 - March 12, 2021
- What is the Function of Each of the Parts of a Hand Saw? - January 27, 2021